As technology grows, people are using Whatsapp messenger, WeChat, skype, line Messenger, etc., instead of default android messaging clients. However, most people are using WhatsApp messenger as messaging client.
Here in this article, we will show you everything you need to know about WhatsApp Backup.
How to take WhatsApp backup
You can take a backup of your WhatsApp Chat on your Google Drive account; all you need to do is just follow the steps to take your WhatsApp Backup.
Here we have explained in a few easy steps How to Backup Whatsapp Chats. Follow these steps to backup Whatsapp messages from the WhatsApp app.
- First of all, open “Whatsapp” from your Android device.
- Now tap on the “options” button/key, and you will see a “Setting” > “Chats” > “Chat backup”
- You will see the Backup button; tap on Backup so that Whatsapp will automatically backup your messages on your device’s storage or sync them with your configured Google Drive account.
Once this process gets finished, your backup will be stored in your Google Drive account. So whenever you reset your device and log in with your Google Account in which your WhatsApp backup is there, you will automatically be prompted to restore your Chat at the time of configuring WhatsApp.
You can also set a backup frequency based on your requirement. E.g., you can take a manual backup, weekly, daily or monthly backup.
See Also: Read Deleted WhatsApp Messages by Sender
Recover Whatsapp Deleted Chat History
If you have deleted your WhatsApp messages by mistake and you want to restore them back to your device, here is the easiest way to restore your WhatsApp messages on your device again.
- Remove the current version of Whatsapp from your device by uninstalling it.
- Download Whatsapp again and install it on your device
- When you set up your WhatsApp account, it will ask you to restore it.
- It will automatically search backup files from your device and restore them on your newly installed Whatsapp.
If you have a backup stored on your device, you will see the above options to follow. But when you have taken backup to Google Drive, you will see an option like below, and you can make use of it to restore WhatsApp from Google Drive.
How To Restore Whatsapp Chat from Google Drive
If you have configured your Whatsapp to backup it on Google drive, and you are connected to the internet, It can also restore a backup from your Google drive as well. Check out the video on How to restore WhatsApp backup files from Google drive in just 3 steps.
- First of all, Sign in to your Google account on the new phone that was used for backup.
- Open your “WhatsApp messenger.”
- If you have installed a new Whatsapp app, Enter the phone number and verify your phone number.
- After verifying your phone number, it will ask whether you to restore messages or not. Select the “Restore” Button
- After Clicking the “Restore” Button, You receive a notification on Screen & you have done it.
You can also watch the video below to get help.
We hope this video has helped you with how to restore WhatsApp backup from google drive to android.
Restoring Whatsapp Messages on Android Manually
- Open your WhatsApp app > Go to menu > Settings > Chat Settings > Backup conversations.
- Now your backup file will be stored as “msgstore.db.crypt7” in your phone’s folder under the following location. /WhatsApp/Databases folder.
- Now you just have to rename your backup file to “msgstore.db.crypt7.current”, without the quotes to make it easy to find when you want to restore the backup. So whenever you are reinstalling Whatsapp, Whatsapp would search for the file “msgstore.db.crypt7.current” from your device. Note – If Whatsapp is able to find a backup file with that name, it will successfully restore your WhatsApp conversation from your backup file.
- Now to restore your WhatsApp conversations from a backup, uninstall WhatsApp and find the correct backup file from the WhatsApp folder. Slightly older backups are named “msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt7”. To restore any of these, rename the file to “msgstore.db.crypt7”.
- Now reinstall WhatsApp. Once you verify your phone number, WhatsApp will show a prompt saying that it has found backed-up messages. Tap Restore, choose the correct backup file, and wait for the conversations to appear in the app.
If you are looking for How to Recover Whatsapp Deleted Chat History, you just have to backup your Whatsapp conversation from the setting and rename that file.
Using this trick, you can easily back up Whatsapp Messages and How to Restore Whatsapp Chat History on other devices. You just have to transfer that backup file to another device.
How To Delete Whatsapp Backup on Android
If you want to delete your backup taken on WhatsApp, you can also delete it from the database folder of your device. For this, you will need any file manager app & follow the steps to delete the backup of Whatsapp:
- Open the File Manager > Select WhatsApp > Database
Here you will see a list of backup that has been taken on your device. You can delete those backup, if you think those are not useful and again take a new backup from WhatsApp Setting.
Whatsapp will store your backup file in \WhatsApp\Backups folder. If you have moved WhatsApp on your SD card, you will find it on your SD card\WhatsApp\Backups folder. If you have an android device that doesn’t have a function to move installed apps to an SD card, you can get a WhatsApp backup on device\WhatsApp\Backups folder.
You can also email your WhatsApp conversation to your mail address if you want to store it on your mail account or share it with your friends.
For your information: WhatsApp automatically makes backups every day at 4 AM and stores them on the microSD memory card of your Android phone.
Delete WhatsApp Backup from Google Drive
If you are worried about your Space issues for Backup stored on your Google Drive, you don’t have to worry about it, as WhatsApp backup will no longer occupy space on your Google Drive, according to this news.
If you are worried about your privacy and want to delete your WhatsApp backup stored on your Google Drive, you just have to follow the steps to delete it.
- Open “Google Drive” on your Device
- Go to “Menu” > “Backup”
Here you will see a list of devices and your Google Drive Whatsapp Backup file. Just tap on 3 dotted icons just beside the backup to delete any specified backup from your Google Drive on Android.
Once you tap on it, you will see the “Delete Backup & Turn off backup” option. Based on your preference, you can select the option. Here we show you the delete backup option in the image.
Delete Backup – This option permanently deletes your WhatsApp backup from your Google Drive.
Turn Off Backup – This option will stop backing up your further chat on your Google Drive Account.
So if you are looking for how to check WhatsApp backup in Google Drive, you just follow the above steps to see your WhatsApp backup location on your Google Drive account.
Check out this video to know more information on backing up or restoring Whatsapp backup with Google Drive.
If you face any problem with that or want to know any more information about that, feel free to comment below.