So many android users are talking about rooting their smartphones.Rooting has it’s own benefits and disadvantage also. Rooting means gaining root access on your smartphones, which means gaining the administrator privileges. When your device is not rooted, you can do with him only what the manufacturer allows you to do. By default, you can not delete system apps, not able to access root folders and system folders on your smartphones, but rooting allows you to get super user privilege & allow you what you want to do with your device. Root access is similar to jailbreaking Apple iOS operating system devices. Well, we have tried to cover Advantages & Disadvantages of Rooting smartphones here. Check these information before you root your device.
For example, just like you use Windows as a guest. You would not able to make any changes in system files. It would ask you administrator password each time you want to change something on system. Likewise android smartphones allow user to use the system as a guest until you root it. After rooting it, you would be able to use your smartphone as super administrator. You can browse and also modify system root files using ES File Explorer if you have rooted your device.
- Install Apps for Rooted devices : There are so many apps available on Google Play Store that needs super user permission to play and start. Apps like Titanium Backup ★ root , Root Uninstaller , Font Installer ★ Root ★ and lots more apps for rooted devices that can increase performance of devices. E.g. Font installer like apps allow you to modify and change your default android fonts, you can install custom fonts on your smartphones. If you have not rooted your device, that apps would not work, you would have to use default fonts provided by your device manufacturer.
- Install Custom ROM (OS or Software) : You would be able to install Custom ROM on your android tablets. ROM is a software which runs your android device. Different ROM will perform and look different way in your Device. You can tell that you can install latest updates by flashing your device. If your manufacturer doesn’t provide updated version for your smartphone, you can update latest version of android on your device by rooting it.
- Blocking Unwanted Ads in All Apps : You might have observed few ads while playing some games like Angry birds , Subway Surf and many more.Like you are downloading something from online websites and dirty ads annoys you. You would be able to block popup ads from Games, browsers and apps.
- Installing incompatible apps : All apps available on Google Play Store is not compatible with all smartphone devices.However if you have rooted device, you would able to install & run incompatible apps on your device easily.
- Remove Unwanted System Apps : By default android not allow user to remove system apps, however if you have rooted device, you can dive into system folder, remove system apps easily.Some of default android apps, you are not using and it seems occupying unwanted space on your device, you can remove such apps easily.
- Fully Customize Your Device : You can have administrative privileges for customization and theming options.Install custom fonts of your choice.Install custom home screen launchers and widgets on your smartphones.
- Force Apps to install on SD Card : By-default, any apps you install on your smartphone would be installed on system memory. However if you have rooted your device, you can force apps to be installed on your SD card. So you can make your internal storage free and increase device’s performance quickly and so many benefits of rooting android smartphones.
Disadvantage of Rooting Smartphones :
- Warranty will be void : This is the main disadvantage. If you root your device, it’s warranty would be voided and you would no longer able to complaint to your manufacturer if any issues arises.
- Risk of bricking device : When you root your device, there is possibility of getting bricked. It’s software would get corrupted at the level, you can not fix it. However you can fix bricked android device by flashing it proceeding from step 1 to root it again. Most of the device that gets bricked during rooting process has found successfully root after starting from step 1 again. However you can avoid risk of device getting bricked by using standard rooting guides like XDA-developers or Android Rooting Guides.
- Virus Attack : Rooting allows you to install any external apps to on your device.You can install incompatible apps on your smartphone from unknown sours(out of Google Play Store). However there would be chance of virus attack on your device. if you install some malware containing apps, it would automatically download harmful information and spread it on your device. However you would be able to prevent virus attack on your smartphone using Top 10 Free Anti-Virus Apps for your device.
Well, if you root your device, you would have so many advantage. However disadvantages are there. As I said, if you want to use your android as power user, you can root it. Choice is always yours. Let me know your views by commenting on the comment section below.